Remove this ad

Lead

Oct 6 10 12:04 PM

Tags : :

Hi

How about some re cuts of a themodist test roll? I am sure that a lot of people would buy a copy in order to correctly adjust the base & treble regulators.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Oct 6 10 12:36 PM

strictly speaking a specialized Themodist/Melodant test roll is not necessary to test players with those systems. The tests on those test rolls are the same as found on standard test rolls plus a section to check over the theme. You can do the theme testing by just using a selection of regular music rolls. Choose sections of various rolls where the theme is highlighted in the bass section only, the treble section only, to pick out one note in a chord, where the theme meanders through more complex music.

I wrote an article on test and demo rolls now available in "Player Piano Talk" group on Facebook

regards

Adam

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Oct 6 10 11:00 PM

I don't think I've ever seen a specifically-Themodist test roll: there is a single pair of themed notes in Aeolian's standard 88n test roll.

As Adam says, it's obvious if the Themodist is working properly. Pull the sliders over and the entire accompaniment should play quietly, and when an accent appears its side of the stack should play loudly. It doesn't depend on individual notes, so any block of themed music can be used to do the test.

I really can't think what more there might be to test on most themed players. I suppose you could do a more forensic examination that plays increasingly large chords in the accompaniment so you can see when the system gives up, but there's no 'right' value for such things (unlike for the Duo-Art where the system assumed certain parameters).

Julian

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Oct 7 10 8:24 AM

I have just sent a Themodist Test roll that i had over to the UK for Steinway1914 to try.Ive never yet used it myself so have no idea what its like , so i guess once he uses it he can let us all know if it really can help with adjustments and testing or not.

We await your feedback Chris

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Oct 13 10 7:03 PM

yeah, I have a specifially Themodist test roll with a long end section that tests the theme system in various musical combinations.

The Artona test roll I have also has a special themodist section and also an instruction leaflet telling what to do with it and what to adjust for.

I'll look it out tomorrow and scan the instructions.

regards

Adam

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#5 [url]

Oct 14 10 10:49 AM

88 note themodist test roll

Hi Adam,

Thanks for that it would be most useful to read. I received the test roll from Dan in Australia. It arrived very quickly,in fact a bit too quick as I havn't finished regulating the piano action yet!

It is a Marshall & Rose with the Angelus pouch action C.1923. Mounted each side of the exhauster are two large pneumatics that control the Melodant. These are held open by a spring which is regulated by a rotating cam. Here is a picture of it.

[URL=http://img823.imageshack.us/i/img0224pa.jpg/]image[/URL]

Mounted under the treble end of the key bed is the motor govenor, from the side of which project six screws.Turning these screws in reduces the air passing through the governor & unscrewing them has the opposite affect.
The linkage hanging down is conected to the rocking tablet mounted in the key slip which momenteraly alters the tempo.

[URL=http://img823.imageshack.us/i/img0225x.jpg/]image[/URL]

This is a most useful device as you can speed up or slow down the roll. When you let go of the tablet it returns to the original tempo.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Oct 14 10 9:57 PM

Adam's reminded me that (despite my earlier post) there really is a Themodist test roll - and that I've got a copy! Came in a batch lot, and I never played it... the music didn't seem very interesting.

The Angelus system is an on-off form of accompaniment, rather than the graduated-throttle that Aeolian used (a slide valve to gradually cut off the direct air flow) or the fully-governed Hupfeld system (where there is a smooth decrease in the accompaniment level as the theme sliders are moved).

That means Aeolian and Hupfeld both have user-controllable accompaniment levels according to the position of the theme slider, while Angelus (and several other systems) have a fixed accompaniment level, which must be set correctly to give quiet playing without missing notes.

That's the purpose of the cam on the regulator - strengthening the spring by turning the cam will make the accompaniment louder. I like this means of adjustment, very intuitive and faster than the more common spring-and-turnbuckle that most systems used. Both bass and treble should be adjusted similarly.

Julian

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Dec 27 10 10:30 PM

Hi Chris , how is the testing going? , is the test roll of any real help?
Dan

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help