Remove this ad

Lead

Dec 27 09 8:40 AM

Tags : :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMw50HUusQM

Tuned, player action and piano action regulated to the best of my currant ability

Regards, Paul

Happy New Year to all!
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Dec 29 09 5:47 PM

Hi Paul
A very good video - that is a really convincing reproduction - no clunkiness.

I like the piano tone too - nice full sound. Look forward to some more.
Cheers
Neil

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Dec 29 09 5:52 PM

Thankyou Neil, I appreciate your nice comments.
I'll never make a cinamatographer though
In the midst of tuning now, thats more fun than restoration...lol

Paul

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Dec 29 09 6:01 PM

I'm learning the tuning now too... it's hard but so far I do a pretty good job I think

here are 2 audio recording of my piano after my tuning attempt (before I started it was last tunes 2 years ago)

Joplin - The Crysanthemum http://www.phonola.nl/jopcrys.mp3

Disney's Beauty and the Beast - Be Our Guest http://www.phonola.nl/beourguest.mp3

-- Phonola 73-note vorsetzer (in restoration) -- Steck pedal electric Duo-Art (in restoration too) -- Citroën Dyane (drives great, but needs restoration too)

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Dec 29 09 6:34 PM

Ok, i'll drop by when i'm in the neighbourhood...

I'm getting tuning lessons from a professional tunes, which helps a lot.... I couldn't have done this without his lessons...

-- Phonola 73-note vorsetzer (in restoration) -- Steck pedal electric Duo-Art (in restoration too) -- Citroën Dyane (drives great, but needs restoration too)

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Dec 31 09 9:02 AM

This is an old time favourite of mine, hope you like it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxqLaGrSNeA
Forgive me, the roll is slightly ripped in a small section (one of those repair jobs that never seem to get done)

Paul

BTW This is after the 2nd tune, I believe a third tune is in order in a week or so. Thanks.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Jan 7 10 2:16 PM

Recordo mode on You tube

I managed to get hold of an original Recordo roll 'Barcarolle' If takes full advantage of the system, with some very nice toning I think.
The system operates basically the same as a reproducing system, just not as sophisticated.
I don't think the piano has played it's Recordo system for some years, as I needed to fully restore both rail lifters completely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n-3XqWZ4Xs

Any criticism or comment would be very welcome, thanks

Paul

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Jan 8 10 1:34 AM

Hi Paul, very nice, but a bit more tuning required. Also, I wonder if your sustaining pedal is releasing fully. I have found that my video camera has an automatic gain control for volume, and the result is no real expression comes through even with the cotton taped over the mike.
Hal Klassen, 1922 Mansfield Recordo , 1929 Ampico Symphonique Mod B, 1911 Heintzman with arts & crafts cabinet [just aquired]

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Jan 8 10 2:25 AM

Hi Hal, Thanks, yes another tuning to go, this round, at least. The sustain is releasing fine, the dampers need replacing as do the hammers, I'm saving up...lol. I cannot get good sound reproduction on my camera, no matter what sound settings I use, maybe it's too primitive, or the shading too subtle, I dont know.

Paul

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Jan 11 10 12:58 AM

My digital camera pretty well eliminates changes in dynamics, and also gives a very full-bodied sound - which together give recording that seem louder than the piano itself did. This exacerbates the commmon tendency of expression and reproducing pianos to be too loud overall or get loud too fast - so digital cameras are not good friends of the player!

I suspect this particular video has a bit of both going on - the overall effect is rather overpowering. It sounds an impressive piano, but needs to be tamed a bit more yet!

I've found it more musical to record the audio using fixed-gain microphones, but really hard to get a nice piano sound at home. I've used the recording setup decribed by Johan Liljencrans on MMD. Good fun trying! With players, unless you're showing the roll close-up, you can use a still photo or post-sync sound and video together in Movie Maker or some such.

Julian

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Jan 11 10 6:22 AM

Thanks Julian,
That must be what is happening, the piano sounds nothing like the recording, all the subtleties are lost.
I have an old fixed gain microphone, but the new technology makes no allowance for plugging stuff in
I'll keep trying

Paul

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Jan 11 10 9:57 AM

Paul - the piano looks lovely! I'm dying to see an example of those normal piano pedals used as pumping pedals! Any chance you could do a quick video of that?

http://www.pianola.co.nz
'Preserving The Music Of Yesterday'
Free MIDI Files Scanned From Piano Rolls

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Jan 11 10 10:39 AM

Sure, I'll do that for you now. I must say, I enjoy using the pedals much better than full electric control, cause it allows for so much more expression. One other thing I've noticed with the recordo system, is the tempo changes that occur with different accent perforations. I had no idea it was capable of that.
BTW my camera cannot capture the expression as it occurs, to any great degree, Sorry about that.
Paul

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Jan 11 10 11:05 AM

reliance_rolls wrote:
Paul - the piano looks lovely! I'm dying to see an example of those normal piano pedals used as pumping pedals! Any chance you could do a quick video of that?

I have to say after seeing it in person , it is truely one remarkable player indeed , it was a great buy Paul!

*1907: Orchestrelle Model V .
*1911 Steinway 65/88 Model I
*1912: Weber Pianola Grand. (currenty been
restored)
*1920: Weber Duo Art upright.

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Jan 11 10 11:27 AM

Here you go Robert, I hope its interesting for you, if there's anything else on or in the machine you want to see, don't hesitate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DCO6ua342A

Paul

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Jan 11 10 6:17 PM

Hi Paul, the change in tempo is probably because the air motor governer requires adjustment. there should be a spring with a wire through it and when it is adjusted properly,
there should be no change in tempo at different vacuum levels.
Most Recordo rolls are very poorly [crudely] coded for expression, but if you get a good one, they can be quite realistic.
I read somewhere, the pedals were there
for when the power was off.
Hal Klassen

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Jan 12 10 12:28 AM

Hi Hal,
Without power, the bellows (because of their size) cannot run the whole machine. If you look at the patents, Axel Gulbransen developed many different devices to run the wind motor seperately from the stack, in an effort to ease pedaling requirements I guess. But his patent on this device, clearly states that improved expression was the aim. You can look it up on freepatentsonline.com, just type in Gulbransen Co.

Paul

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Jan 12 10 4:04 AM

Hi Paul, I wasn't aware of this , but the fact remains, no matter where you get the vacuum from, it still has to produced ---either by the electric pump or the pedals.
There were spring driven drive motors tried, but the beauty of a vacuum motor is it is able to produce a constant torque and speed to compensate for the different requirements from the beginning of a roll to the end.
If you are unable to get the piano to play with the pedals, there must be some leaks. An easy test for the bottom is to tape off all the hoses going up and pump till the reservoir collapses. If it stays collapsed for 10 seconds, you have eliminated the bottom as being the problem.
Best of luck, Hal

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Jan 12 10 4:22 AM

Hi Hal, I'm sorry, I forgot to say, I'm going to check out the governor, as per your earlier suggestion. I've already eliminated the treadle pump, it was recovered and tested fine, just after I bought it. (The foot pump is designed to run the stack only.)
Your suggestions and advice are always valued, thanks, Paul

P.S. Today 17th Jan, I found a small feeder tube from the expression box to the motor governor had come adrift. Re-attaching it, solved the tempo change problem

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help