Remove this ad

Lead

Mar 9 09 1:48 PM

Tags : :

Hi All,

As I have a tubing chart for my Duo-Art I thought I could rip out all tubing and just put new in,..... well not problem... except for the dust filters.
there are 7 of them in a wooden bar mountend next to the pouch block which controls the themodist valves and roll corrector.

I don't remember which 7 trackerbar holes where tubed through the filters.

the playing notes for sure aren't, and the exression ports aren't either, because there's to many of them.

this leaves:

Roll corrector ports (4)
Sustain pedal
rewind
bass theme
treble theme
motor off
hammer rail
Repeat (take-up spool hole)

it seems logic to not route the roll corrector ports here, which leaves the 7 other holes... But I'm not sure of this.

can anybody confirm or correct this?

thank you,
Niels

-- Phonola 73-note vorsetzer (in restoration) -- Steck pedal electric Duo-Art (in restoration too) -- Citroën Dyane (drives great, but needs restoration too)

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Mar 11 09 10:51 AM

Nobody?

(I'm not impatient at all, am I? )

-- Phonola 73-note vorsetzer (in restoration) -- Steck pedal electric Duo-Art (in restoration too) -- Citroën Dyane (drives great, but needs restoration too)

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Mar 11 09 10:28 PM

Interesting - I've not come across a Duo-Art or other Aeolian with this feature!

The general principle of players is that they don't have filters, instead being designed for the dust to go right through the system. This works well, on the whole, the dust exiting through the bleeds. Design helps: bleeds mounted after the pouches, as in upright Aeolian stacks, allow dust that gets as far as the pouch to exit the pouch and continue to the bleed, while bleeds mounted earlier risk trapping dust in the dead-end, most probably in the pouch well because pouches are never wholly airtight.

Anyhow, the only places where you positively need filters are where the system design doesn't permit ait to flow right through. In the case of UK Aeolian players this is the outer edge-sensing holes of the floating tracker-bar, where the air passes under a cut-out pouch operated by the opposing inner tracker port. The pouch acts as a filter to the air passing through it, and will block right up if it doesn't have an in-line filter.

The in-line filters are normally small metal pressings that push-fit together and have a small wire screen in between. They are often either missing completely, or are found fitted entirely randomly on other tubes.

As to what the other 5 filters are, I can only guess. Perhaps a picture of this bit of the stack might help figure things out.

Julian

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Mar 16 09 2:41 PM

Hi Julian, I indeed mean the in-line metal filters, but they are contained in a piece of wood, not secured, but the combination of the wood and the tubing just holds the filters in place.

I'll go and make a picture now......

here they are:

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Mar 16 09 11:14 PM

Aha, more familiar now! I'd suggest the four tracking ports for a start - they continuously vacuum lint from the fraying edges of the roll, so the fliters will have plenty to do.

As for the others, I don't have any strong feelings. My Duo-Art has only two such filters, and seems to have gone though its life without the rest. I don't recall ever seeing an instrument with 7!

However, one problem I've had with my Duo-Art over the years is that the rotary selector switch occasionally gets blocked with lint, which causes the sustaining pedal to work poorly. It's rather odd - the pedal starts to operate with a loud knock, which sounds as if something under the piano's failed, when in fact it's a blocked tube several feet away. Given that, it could well be sensible to put filters on the pedal lines before they enter the rotary switch.

Your choice for the last filter - neither the stop nor rewind ports get more than about 1 second's use per roll, so there hardly seems any point to their having filters. I somehow don't think that the fast-acting theme system is going to be helped by adding filters to the inlet tubes, but it's probably so marginal that it doesn't matter.

And an obvious point to finish - put the filters the right way round so that the lint collects on the accessible side of the gauze screen. Saves a lot of poking round to get a plug of felt out!

Julian

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Mar 17 09 4:44 AM

Ive never seen these before , would my Weber DA have them as well?

*1907: Orchestrelle Model V .
*1911 Steinway 65/88 Model I
*1912: Weber Pianola Grand. (currenty been
restored)
*1920: Weber Duo Art upright.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#6 [url]

Mar 17 09 7:00 AM

I faintly remeber one being in-line in the motor-off tube to the repeat switch.

this would make sense to me as this tube goes to the T-piece with the very small openings (to make it NOT switch, unless it is open together with the hole in the take-up spool)
if this gets clogged the motor will not switch off. the hole in the take up spool is less likely to get clogged up as the paper is continuesly fixed over this hole instead of traveling over it.

so it'll then be:

4 roll-corrector ports
sustain pedal port
hammer rail pedal port
motor-off port.

any other ideas on this anyone?

Dan, I have no idea if the American instruments have these filters as well. I know of 2 american instruments here, but I don't have direct acces to either of them. one is from a friend who's in Japan at the moment. the other is in a museum (see my youtube clip)

just trace some of the 'special' tracker bar ports and you should fine them put in between the tubing...... or not

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Mar 24 09 11:08 PM

with some help of a friend who recently got a PEDA Weber, with the same 7 filters, I got to the following:

Filters Duo Art

1 Sustain Pedal

2 Hammer Rail Port

3 Motor Off port

4 Rewind Port

5 Repeat Port (Port on take-up spool)

6 Roll corrector Bass end outer port (upper connection on valve block)

7 Roll corrector Treble end outer port (upper connection on valve block)

the only uncertainty is the sustain pedal port, the tube was broken but it was clear it went to the left side of the tracker bar, so must have been this port.

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Mar 26 09 12:57 PM

Hi Julian,

I think the motor off port has the filter so the very tiny hole in the T-piece (smaller than the bleed holes) doesn't get clogged. The same for the repeat port....

why the reroll port needs a filter........no idea.,,

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help