Remove this ad

Lead

Aug 14 08 7:55 AM

Tags : :

Wishing thinking or possibility?

G'day all

As most of you know i have a Lipp player grand , 6"4' in length.It has great sound and when played , plays just beautifully.My tuner is a classical trained pianist (and teaches at the Sydney Conservatory) and when he plays , he really brings the piano to life......just amazing.

Anyway as much as i love my rolls (73/88 ) , i would also like to tap into having a Disklavier in my procession.I was thinking of either getting a ready built (2nd hand) upright , or buying an older upright and getting the system installed.

This got me thinking as to maybe i could get the Disklavier installed into the Lipp instead.I would leave the original workings there and have this system installed as well.

I have seen a player upright on you tube with this done so i know its a possibility.

With the attached pictures showing space and size , what do others think of this?

If it was done , i would then have a Player Grand 73/88 (foot) with 88 Midi electric.....and the possibility's would be endless.

Daniel

*1907: Orchestrelle Model V .
*1911 Steinway 65/88 Model I
*1912: Weber Pianola Grand. (currenty been
restored)
*1920: Weber Duo Art upright.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Aug 14 08 11:14 PM

Hi Dan,

The Disklavier is a Yamaha product, which is only supplied ready-fitted to selected upright and grand pianos from their own product range. It isn't available as a kit for fitting to other instruments.

For this, you might instead consider QRS Music's Pianomation product, which is offered at their web site here:

http://www.qrsmusic.com/pianomation.asp

Regards,

Ian McLaughlin

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Aug 15 08 1:24 AM

The general way that solenoid players are fitted to grands is under the keybed, so a Hupfeld setup where the stack is above the keys ought to make things easier than the typical Aeolian-style grand installation (where I gather the norm is to rip off the pneumatic stack and use the existing keybed slot for the solenoid player).

There are two or three retro-fit solenoid players around. At the Amica convention they had Wayne Stahnke's new offering, which gives the full Bosendorfer SE level of sophistication for rather less money! With modern electonics and manufacturing methods this system only sticks out about half an inch below the keybed, pretty impressive.

For all that, I think you'd be better going for a separate disklavier and not fiddling with an old instrument.

Julian

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Aug 15 08 8:35 AM

Thanks guys , I'm looking into all avenues at this stage and appreciate your feedback

*1907: Orchestrelle Model V .
*1911 Steinway 65/88 Model I
*1912: Weber Pianola Grand. (currenty been
restored)
*1920: Weber Duo Art upright.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Aug 15 08 8:46 AM

The cheapest option would probably be a Pianocorder vorsetzer.

These look like a cabinet and push up to the piano, playing it with 88 fingers, just as the original Pianola piano players did.

They play off cassette tapes (they're 70s technology) but an upgrade kit is available which lets you play it wirelessly from your computer by simply double clicking the MIDI file. A friend has had one of these kits installed and is very happy with it.

I looked into this option before buying my Disklavier, and I seem to recall one guy in rural Victoria had one available for me for around the AU$1000 mark. The upgrade wireless kit is about US$350.

Much better to do this than install any kind of player system to such a beautiful player grand. Even the LX system (I've heard) cuts a big chunk out of the keybed and replaces it with a steel plate.

http://www.pianola.co.nz
'Preserving The Music Of Yesterday'
Free MIDI Files Scanned From Piano Rolls

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Apr 15 09 3:53 PM

two years later..............

I also want a pianomation in my duo-art someday, or in my grand piano which I still have to buy.

I once saw a solenoid system (not sure which type) build into a Hupfeld which had the stack below the keybed, the solenoids were placed below here, and pushed up the player systems's pneumatics..
I don't think that is an ideal setup... but possible.
I can't find the site anymore, it was in some language I didn't recognize........

-- Phonola 73-note vorsetzer (in restoration) -- Steck pedal electric Duo-Art (in restoration too) -- Citro├źn Dyane (drives great, but needs restoration too)

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help