Remove this ad

Lead

Apr 24 08 1:38 PM

Tags : :

Help needed!

A few of us are very interested in the arrangements of the above named suspects. We are trying to look at the overall output of these roll arrangers, see if we can track down as many as possible surviving titles, examine them and see what information we might be able to put together.

Swift worked for Aeolian as a roll programmer (there are patents in his name even) and made many arrangements from the 1890s through to the 1910s. He doesn't appear to surface anywhere apart from in roll format i.e. no publsihed sheet music work. He did loads of medleys and also the wonderful Classic Mosaics series.

Harry Derry is the UK equivalent of the US-based George Swift and there are some interesting "for pianola" arrangements of stuff done by Derry. He also arranged for the UK "L"-series 58-note organ catalogue.

Wade is best know for his rollicking ragtime medleys and general style of lively arranging. He did write and arrange music for real theatrical shows and the open market. It is thought that Wade (and also Lindemann in Germany) were arrangers who were contracted by Aeolian to arrange music for the pianola but didn't necessarily work in the factory roll arranging departments themselves.

Linder's work appears on the labels of several different companies. Some is routine fare however the livelier ragtime-era music is stylistically very close (but with subtle differences) to Herman Avery Wade.

Most people have a few rolls by some of these folk knocking around on their roll shelves. We figure if we can scan and put together a few webpages full of their material then, with enough of it together and easily listenable we should be able to unravel the arranging styles ...and enjoy some darn fine music along the way!

regards

Adam

www.undergroundpianola.com
*1907 Brinsmead Angelus 58/65
*1913 Bluthner Hupfeld 65/88
*1904 Aeolian "D" Orchestrelle
*1926 Aeolian PDA Duo-Art
*1916 Gilbert Higel 88n

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Apr 25 08 2:25 AM

The 1914 Themodist catalogue lists the following titles

The numbers are (in order) ordinary 65-note, Themodist 65-note, Themodist-Metrostyle 88-note.

Herman Avery Wade

Pride of America (Patriotic waltes) L3863 / T103074 / T300212
Oh! Oh! Delphine (Carryl) Two-step 79937 / T103054 / T300198
Famous Spring Songs in Music 79339 / 101574 / T98832
Autumn Leaves 79607 / T101992 / T99732

George Swift

Ave Maria (arrangement of versions by Luzzi, Schubert, Franz and Gounod) 73597
Classic Mosaics:
... Chopin - / T924 / T923
... Massenet - / T932 / T931
... Mendelssohn - / T930 / T929
Daydreams Waltz (Mandolin transcription of Herbert's Waltz songs) L9023 / T78461 / TL21693
Dream Medley 78385 / T100422 / -
Dream Vision Waltz L9022 / T79663 / T92572
Love Waltz Selection - / T76803 / -
Moon Medley 78167 / T100154 / -
Famous Love-songs T78761
Oh! Oh! Delphine (Carryl) Selection 79745 / T102154 / T300024
Oh that Classic Rag! 78339 / TL15515 / 94721
Prosit (Medley of popular German songs) 77409 / - / T87602
Songs of the sea 74795 / - / -
Souvenir of the Opera 76039 / T76821 / T81622

It's surprisng how few of Wade's arrangements were issued in the UK, and a pity (for us collectors here) that his fine ragtime-era medley rolls weren't issued other than the Oh Oh Delphine selection two-step - presumably because of its English composer. Rather unexpectedly, I found that, plus the Spring Songs, on my 65-note shelf - a case of subconscious collecting, perhaps? The Spring Songs is a perfectly run-of-the-mill classical selection.

The same basic comment can be applied to Swift's rolls: mainly it was classical medleys that were seen fit for UK release. There were many more Swift "Classic Mosaics" than those listed in this catalogue.

Julian

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Apr 25 08 8:13 AM

Here's Wade's WWI draft card, in which he's listed as an arranger for Wurlitzer. I found this some time ago but as usual the interest on MMD in anything without mechanical parts was zilch.

[URL=http://s5.largeimagehost.com/img/untilted/UsUreXh/wade_herman_wurlitzerWWI.jpg.html]image[/URL]

I always assumed Wade was Swift, and am obviously wrong! Wade made some handplayed rolls for the Mignon company in Connecticut later in his career, and a Hilda Swift crops up there too. Funny how often the name Swift appears.. there's Alec Swift, Hilda Swift, George Swift..

[/img]

http://www.pianola.co.nz
'Preserving The Music Of Yesterday'
Free MIDI Files Scanned From Piano Rolls

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Jun 21 08 1:00 PM

I'm finding out some fascinating information about Ellis Linder. He was Swedish, born in 1867. Before the player industry came about, he was an organ maker, and after the industry died, he made violins!

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Jun 22 08 11:29 AM

Finally managed to uncover the elusive George Swift, as well - it took a huge amount of effort because of the rather common name.

He was born in August 1861 in England, emigrated to the USA in the middle of the Civil War (1863), and was married with no children.

From what I"ve uncovered so far, it appears he may have died during the Flu epidemic.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Mar 23 09 6:46 PM

just discovered another "arranged by Herman Avery Wade" here in the South! "My Hula Hula Love" by Percy Wenrich on a 65-note themodist.

It would be real nice to get all of these together online someplace one day...

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Jul 23 09 1:36 PM

...and I just got hold of another one by Wade : "Famous Butterflies in Music". Nicely done, it is a long compilation of er....butterflies in music. Griegs Butterly from Lyric Piece Op.43, Godard's "Papillons" and Rosenthals all the way to Chopin's "Butterfly" Etude ...which pushes the point a bit far perhaps as the name was only added later.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Aug 12 09 7:25 AM

Some more about George Swift from the recently digitized 'Music Trade Review' magazine:

(September 25, 1915 issue)

The New York headquarters of
the Aeolian Co. were advised this
week that George Swift, in charge
of the music-arranging department
of the company's Meriden factory,
had undergone a very serious operation,
from which his ultimate
recovery is not expected. Mr. Swift
is one of the Aeolian Co.'s oldest
employees and is a pioneer in the
music-roll business, being familiar
with every technical phase of the industry

And a sad update in the October 9, 1915 edition:

George Swift, who had been in
charge of the Aeolian Co.'s musicarranging
department at Meriden,
Conn., for many years, died Tuesday
evening after undergoing a
very serious operation. Mr. Swift
was one of the Aeolian Co.'s oldest
employes, and was a pioneer in the
music roll business, being familiar
with every technical phase of the
industry. He was very popular
with his associates, a large number of whom
worked with him for many years.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Aug 12 09 9:47 AM

Hi Robert,

Thanks for this - I also saw this last week on a 1/2 hour trawl through this new online resource. It is indeed a great find which links the historical evidence on roll showing from which year George Swift effectively vanishes.

There's a little on Herman Avery Wade in there too as it's about Music Trades i.e. sheet music as well as mechanicals. All I've seen so far just bolstered up all I already knew or suspected though : he was a songwriter / arranger with some rising-star success in the very early 1900s, his star didn't really ascend as a songwriter so his talent (and income) lay in his arranging work as the 1900s and 1910s progressed. I suppose it's a bit like some one-hit wonder popstars from the 1980s couldn't break into a solo career but today they do very well as record producers. Or where actors have a few leading roles but dwindle and go off to be successful directors instead.

It was nice to see them recognise Swift in 1915 that he was one of the oldest players in the industry. This was something I found out a decade back when researching patents online and discovered Swift had a few expounding on the art of roll arranging from the late 1890s and he's referring to way back even before then in the patent and to organ rolls and the like. He would have been one interesting fellow to meet that'd be for sure!

regards

Adam

PS I now also have copies of :

Daydreams Waltz (Mandolin transcription of Herbert's Waltz songs) Dream Vision Waltz L9022 / T79663 / T92572
Oh! Oh! Delphine (Carryl) Selection 79745 / T102154 / T300024
Songs of the sea 74795 / - / -

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Feb 27 10 11:24 AM

Another Herman Avery Wade - Motor Ride

Dear all,

Just catalogued this one, which is in surprisingly good condition. Nice roll as well - not too many repairs!

Box 5 No 144 Motor Ride Descriptive Galop T300342 Themodist Bidgood Arr:-Wade H A

Best Regards

Peter Clarke

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Jan 2 11 5:33 PM

Herman Avery Wade

Nice to see some interest in the arrangements of Herman Avery Wade, Ellis Linder, George Swift etc. I have been collecting Wade rolls for some time now and nust have over 50 or so. Julian is correct when he says that few of Wade's ragtime-styled arrangements were issued in the UK , but there are at least two rolls which he does not mention , KRACKAJACK, Two-step medley was available in UK on Universal S 7602. Whether it was issued in the Themodist supplements , I do not know. However, I have a UK issued roll, Themodist T300516 TURKEY TROT MEDLEY arranged by Herman Avery Wade , the box of which has a mid-1920's style printing to its label. This is the same roll as was issued in US as AHUMMER , Turkey trot medley . ( 300516 Themodist-Metrostyle version and 300517 standard non-themodist version ).
I have seen it mentioned that by 1914 or so , Wade was using the pseudonym Edwin E Wilson. I have about half a dozen Wilson rolls and to be quite honest , I am undecided as to whether Wilson and Wade are one and the same. Musically , Wade's style had evolved by 1914 or 1915, reflecting then current musical styles of orchestration. All interesting stuff ! Greetings from Hampshire , 2011.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Jan 2 11 5:42 PM

HERMAN AVERY WADE

Hi again ! I should have mentioned , I know of of about 90 rolls arranged by Herman Avery Wade , mostly US issues , of course. I would not be surprised to learn that there was at least twice that many , even more. I am currently working on an updated list ; Would there be any interest if I was to post the information on this thread ? Regards. Phonopaul

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Jan 4 11 1:21 AM

Paul,

Please do post! Wade's rolls are an interesting subject, well worth recording what we do know. I was lucky enough to buy 14 of his "A-something" medley rolls at the Amica convention mart back in the summer, one of which is Ahumma, subtitled Turkey Trot Medley.

I'd never picked up that these were issued in the UK stripped of their proper titles - too jokey for the British market, perhaps? Aeolian's UK branch were hilariously out of date with popular musical tastes, so this is characteristic behaviour.

Julian

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Jan 5 11 10:59 PM

Herman Avery Wade

Hi Julian
Of course , I'll be pleased to. WATCH THIS SACE as they say. Have to be a weekend when I' have some spare time. Probably do it in two separate postings.
Regards
Paul

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Jan 8 11 8:45 PM

Herman Avery Wade

Hello All,
Well here goes ! In response to Julian's request , here following are the piano rolls arranged by Herman Avery Wade, known to me. I shall post the information in two parts, as to do it in one session would be too time consuming.
I have started by giving all of the " A ~~ ... " medleys that I know of.
The catalogue numbers I have given are for the Aeolian / Universal issues of 88 note piano rolls where I have an example in my collection or I have seen the numbers mentioned in catalogue listings, ebay, etc. Please bear in mind that in America, The Aeolian Company for a while offered for sale two versions of a given roll , the buyer could opt for a"Themodist-Metrostyle" version or a non-themodised "Plain Pianola" version. The Themodist rolls always have a catalogue number ending in an EVEN number and the plain pianola rolls always have a catalogue number ending in an ODD number.
For example , you could buy " APEACH " as 300746 themodised , or 300747 standard. Also of course , most of these titles would have also been available as 65 note rolls , and at least one or two of Herman Avery Wades arrangements were issued as 58 note organ rolls.

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Jan 8 11 9:07 PM

Herman Avery Wade

The "A~~~~ " Medleys. Most of these are ONE STEP medleys , although some of the earliest ones are TWO STEP or TURKEY TROT Medleys. Some of the later titles are FOXTROT medleys and at least one, "ADREAMER " is a WALTZ medley.

AWUNDA 97285
ACORKA 98935
ADANDY 99615
APIPPIN 300493
AHUMMER 300517 ( Themodist version 300516 issued in UK as "Turkey Trot Medley " )
ABEAR 300527
APEACH 300746 / 300747
ASTUNNER 300517
ADAIZIE 301003
ABIRD 301047

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Jan 8 11 9:23 PM

Herman Avery Wade

ASTAR 301243
ALALAPALOOSA 301319
AWHOPPER 301496
AZIPPER 301602
ARIOT 301665
ARIPPER 301813
ACUCKOO 302035
ABULLY 302044
ARIP SNORTER 302179
AGOOD MIXER 302213
AJINGLER 302265
ADREAMER 302279
ASTARTLER 302433
ARING DINGER 302592

PLUS A FEW in the same series , arrangements credited to Edwin E Wilson
AWHIZZER 302269
ATICKLER 302835
ARIPPLER 302907
AHEAD LINER 303007
AHUNKY DORY 303084

Others known , arranged by Herman Avery Wade ( one or two may be
credited to Edwin E Wilson , not Wade )

AWINNA
ATINGLER
AHURRAH
ATOPPER
ABEAUT
ASPARKLER
AWHALE

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Jan 8 11 9:32 PM

Herman Avery Wade

TWO issues I know of that appeared in the VIRTUOSO catalogue , from Universal masters un-issued by Aeolian ,

A1 Two step medley ( Virtuoso 80000 )
A DOUBLE 1 Two step medley ( Virtuoso 80466 )

Some other Dance medleys arranged by Wade as follows , in no particular order ,

HIP HIP HOORAY Medley One step
KRACKAJACK Medley Two Step 99835
NIFTY Foxtrot Medley
THAT FOXY FOXTROT Foxtrot Medley
FOX TROT MEDLEY 301347
PROPER CAPER Novelty Two Step Medley 300197
TIPPERARY One step Medley 301673

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Jan 8 11 9:39 PM

Herman Avery Wade

IRVING BERLIN One step Medley 301398
TANGO MEDLEY 300489
SOCIETY CRAZE Turkey Trot Medley 300093
MY HULA HULA LOVE Medley Two step
HESITATION WALTZ MEDLEY 301159
HESITATION HITS Waltz Medley

and two more rolls credited to Edwin E Wilson

TIP TOP Foxtrot Medley 302758
SLAM BANG Foxtrot Medley 302845

That's all for now , I will post the remainder tomorrow !!

ALL BEST WISHES
Phonopaul

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Jan 9 11 10:33 AM

Herman Avery Wade

Good Morning All ! Herewith the second part of my posting of Herman Avery Wade rolls.
Firstly , one of the "A~~~ " medley rolls that I missed from the previous posting is " AROUSER " One step medley 301163

TUNEFUL BROADWAY Medley Overture 96865
BREEZY BROADWAY Medley Overture 98495
VICTOR HERBERT TUNEFUL MEDLEY 98505
GAY BROADWAY comic opera hits 1912 99335
BROADWAY SPRING BEAUTIES Medley Overture
BROADWAY ECHOES Novelty One step Medley 300395
BROADWAY 1912 Medley Overture
BROADWAY 1913 Medley Overture
BROADWAY 1914 Medley overture
BROADWAY 1914 One step Medley 301165
BROADWAY 1915 Medley Overture
BROADWAY 1915 Foxtrot Medley 301347

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Jan 9 11 10:41 AM

Herman Avery Wade

BROADWAY REVIEW OF 1914
FAMOUS BUTTERFLIES IN MUSIC 98052
FAMOUS SPRING SONGS IN MUSIC 98832
FAMOUS FIREFLIES AND DRAGONFLIES IN MUSIC 99002
FAMOUS GERMAN MARCHES Medley 302458
FAVOURITE INTERMEZZO MEDLEY 98042
AUTUMN LEAVES Medley 99732
JIGS AND REELS Medley
WALDTEUFEL WALTZ MEDLEY
HAWAIIAN MEDLEY
PRIDE OF AMERICA Patriotic Waltz Medley 300212
MOTOR RIDE, A ( Bidgood ) Descriptive Galop 300242 Also issued in UK on Meloto 45233
SONGS OF SUNNY ITALY Medley
CABARET HITS Medley 99155
POLISH MEDLEY
BLUE BOX MEDLEY 302573 ( Blues Foxtrots and Rags medley )

S

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help