Remove this ad

Lead

Mar 18 08 9:48 PM

Tags : :

I've inquired previously about the Motora pump which is installed in my Duo-Art.

Many people told me not to use this pump.

A dutch technician told me it's ok to use the pump and it won't be noisy at all.

Last week our vacuum cleaner broke and I instantly asked if I could have it. I took the motor out, including the Watt-selector. and got it running again.

I'm not going to use this motor as it is very noisy, I think the Motora will produce a lot less noise.

the carbon brushes that conduct the current in the Motora to the rotor had a broken wire on one side. I fixed this and cleaned the unit. In theory it should work again.

I'll buy a 230 to 110 Volt transformer and give the thing a try. if it works and doesn't run hot I'll use it I think. Replacing it can always be done.

I'll include a fuse, just to be save and I'm a bit afraid to use the original power switch.

I'll leave this switch in place and have it switch a relais which in turn switches on the pump.

No questions yet, but they will come undoubly, I'll post about this agian when I know more...

-- Phonola 73-note vorsetzer (in restoration) -- Steck pedal electric Duo-Art (in restoration too) -- Citroën Dyane (drives great, but needs restoration too)

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Mar 19 08 12:52 PM

Niels,

Pleased to hear that you're planning to get the Motora going!

All too often, these are replaced with modern vacuum cleaner motors, on the grounds that the Motora pumps are supposedly inferior and no longer serviceable. Let us know how you get on.

Regards,

Ian McLaughlin

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Mar 21 08 12:12 AM

Regarding the Motora suction pump.
I am in need of one for the restoration of our Peda/Electric Steck Duo-Art.
Anyone know where I might be able to locate one?
regards,
Steven.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Mar 21 08 7:47 AM

I'll ask around steven, but they aren't very common here....

-- Phonola 73-note vorsetzer (in restoration) -- Steck pedal electric Duo-Art (in restoration too) -- Citroën Dyane (drives great, but needs restoration too)

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Mar 21 08 3:42 PM

Hi Niels.
Thanks for that.
I have not been in too much of a rush to obtain one, but as soon as I have finished the rest of the "normal" piano parts (currently doing the whole hammer action section), I will be starting on the pnumatic side.
That is why I am starting to ask around. They do not seem to be all that common here in the UK.
Steven.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Mar 21 08 4:04 PM

Steven,

It might be worth speaking to one of the established restorers, e.g. Mike Boyd, Roger Waring, Reg Richings etc, as they might have something like this left over from a restoration where a modern pump has been installed.

Regards,

Ian McLaughlin

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#6 [url]

Mar 21 08 9:55 PM

I know Mike Boyd just replaced a motora for a modern suction unit, he had just finished that piano when I was there last year. I don't know what he did with the motora, but it might be worth asking..

About piano actions, I just put mine back into the piano after 2 months, I can play again, though I'm still regulating at the moment.
the hammers have been sanded, the backcheck leather replaced, the hammer springs replaced, the bridalstraps replaced... all the rest was still ok, the felt looks like new.

by now the whole action looks almost like new.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Apr 4 08 5:21 PM

Steven

I've asked around here in the Netherlands and eventually ended up calling somebody who has a DA with a motora and has a spare Motora too.

He wants to keep the Motora as a spare for if the one in the piano failes, so it isn't for sale

I'm sorry but I can't help you further.
Good luck finding one.....

regards,
Niels

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Apr 4 08 11:45 PM

Hi Neils.
Thanks for the enquiries.
I took Ian's advice and contacted Mike Boyd.
He might have a pump, but can't check until he comes back off holiday, but will let me know.
He actually suggested a more modern type, so I will be discussing the merits of both at a later date.
Regards,
Steven.

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Apr 5 08 9:29 PM

I expected that, as it is exactly what he suggested me when I went to pick up My DA there.....

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

May 11 09 3:35 PM

to continue on this.... I decided to build a rotarypump myself which will be a combination of my own design, the normal Aeolian rotary pump and a very late aeolian pump with no ball bearings (and still very silent in operation)

I don't have the funds to have the Motora restored and I have the feeling it doesn't live up to my expectations when It's restored.
the pump will remain with the piano though, so I can always go back to the old situation.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help