Remove this ad

Lead

Jan 15 08 4:34 PM

Tags : :

I was wondering who of you makes new rolls and particularly how?

I plan on building a machine for making new 73-note rolls, but have no idea how to make the perforators... I have some ideas for the whole thing, but don't know what works best...
I'd really like to know more about it.

-- Phonola 73-note vorsetzer (in restoration) -- Steck pedal electric Duo-Art (in restoration too) -- Citroën Dyane (drives great, but needs restoration too)

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Jun 19 08 5:23 PM

I've 'decided' to build a perforator with 77 punches, not just a single one. operated by a 'punch ram' like the machines from the old days.
I have no idea if Hupfeld's machines also worked in this principle. but I think this system can make accurate copies relatively easy.

The general design of the thing is in my head, I just wonder how to shape the punches, which form works best? and how to advance the paper in a reliable manner.

Any tips?

-- Phonola 73-note vorsetzer (in restoration) -- Steck pedal electric Duo-Art (in restoration too) -- Citroën Dyane (drives great, but needs restoration too)

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Jun 19 08 7:05 PM

If you want to know exactly what Hupfeld's perforators looked like then you need the Hupfeld photo book "Im Aufnahmesalon Hupfeld". It is page after page of stunning photos. The text is in German but an English translation pamphlet was done by someone in the US and a copy could no doubt be easily arranged still.

You can get the book from Amazon BUT it's strangely cheaper and easier direct from the publisher still:

http://mfm.uni-leipzig.de/_dt/Forschung/Inhalt_hupfeld.php

Eszter Fontana (Hg.)
Namhafte Pianisten im Aufnahmesalon Hupfeld
Mit Beiträgen von Martin Elste, Eszter Fontana, Birgit Heise, Hans W. Schmitz, Caroline Weiss

Halle/Saale 2000, 144 Seiten, 80 Reproduktionen, Studien zur Musik- und Technikgeschichte, gebunden, Schutzumschlag, 28,5 x 23 cm
Verlag Janos Stekovics: ISBN 3-932867-34-8
Musikinstrumenten-Museums der Universität Leipzig: ISBN 3-9804574-4-3

19,80 Euro

Dieses Buch ist – im mehrfachen Sinne – ein Künstleralbum mit bisher noch nicht publizierten Raritäten. Über fünfzig historische Aufnahmen zeigen Verkaufsräume und Aufnahmesalons der Firma Hupfeld. Die zwischen 1907 und 1910 entstandenen Fotografien spiegeln die Bemühungen der größten Produktionsstätte für mechanische Klaviere wider, die fähigsten und berühm_dten Pianisten für die Einspielung von gelochten Papierrollen zu engagieren. Die Künstler nahmen die Aufträge gern an; schließlich handelte es sich um eine technisch ausgereifte Methode, anspruchsvolle Kompositionen sogar mit feinen dynamischen Nuancen aufzunehmen und zu speichern. Das Album gestattet einen Blick hinter die Kulissen.

Wir sehen Eugen d´Albert, Wilhelm Backhaus, Ferruccio Busoni, Wladimir Cernikoff, Alfred Cortot, Marthe Dron, Prof. Louis Diémer, Edmund Eysler, Gabriel Fauré, Arthur Friedheim, Prof. Leopold Godowsky, Alfred Grünfeld, Hans Hermanns und Mariè Hermanns-Stibbe, Josef Hofmann, Victor Holländer, Edward Grieg, Alfred Grünfeld und Ludwig Rom. Chmel, Prof. Engelbert Humperdinck, Dr. Wilhelm Kienzl, Wanda Landowska, Pietro Mascagni, Prof. Max Pauer, Gabriel Pierné, Francis Planté, Raoul Pugno, Prof. Dr. Max Reger, Willy Rehberg, Prof. Dr. Carl Reinecke, Eduard Risler, Camille Saint Saëns, Prof. Emil Sauer, Prof. Xaver Scharwenka, Prof. Max Schillings, Johann Strauß, Theodor Szántó, Ioaquin Valverde, Lucien Wurmser und Michael v. Zadora beim Aufnahmespiel für die Künstlerrollen.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Jun 19 08 11:41 PM

All production perforators used a punch-ram design with interposers to select which punches to operate. Some models move the punch ram, other models (particularly Ampico) moved the die plate to perform the cut, with the ram and interposer section static.

I have been told that traditionally perforators used flat-ended punches, but my perforator has chisel-ended ones and seems to work nicely!

Chisel-ended punches guarantee that the chad will rotate and if the final edge doesn't cut cleanly there is a risk that the chad will jam between punch and die.

Commercial desktop hole-punchers use hollow-ground punches so that the chad are supported on opposite sides until the final part of the cutting stroke, to try and reduce the risk of jamming.

Regardless of interest in the above arcane minutiae, I recommend everybody to purchase the Hupfeld book! It's mostly of artists recording, with a couple of photos of the perforator floor, and some rather good text. I gather that all copies are now supplied with the English translation as a separate booklet (the translation paid for by Albert Petrak's Reproducing Piano Roll Foundation, by the way). I have spares of the booklet, in any case.

Julian

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Jun 20 08 9:30 PM

Adam and Julian,

both thank you a lot for all the information, I didn't know this book was still for sale and for sure I'll buy it, German or English both aren't a big problem for me, at least not to read, don't ask me to write in German though, it's even worse than my English.

together with a friend who already started to build a punch assembly once I'll try to get a machine running for some nice 73-note rolls, not to make a profit, but with the mere goal to keep the 73-note instruments surviving......

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help