Lead

Nov 14 07 8:27 PM

Tags : :

dismanteling

the worms did a great job on the primaries, luckily they didn't want dessert and left alone the other decks.

primary pouches in good condition.

moisture? no kidding!

let's improve it by making more air-channels

glueing the spoolbox back together (the autofocus department had a day off)

windmotor (the pneumatic decks laying around are from another Hupfeld, an upright)

expression boxes (no it ain't cocaine on top)

an opened eaten expression box.

the treble side expression box, incorporation wind motor knife valve.

treble side expression slide valves.

in parts.

The thing will be french polished again, but not the bottom, I'm not crazy.

bottom deck pouches

good food it was, luckily it's only that part of the stack (except for the primary boards)

sanding and laquering.

This is how it was when I found it.

-- Phonola 73-note vorsetzer (in restoration) -- Steck pedal electric Duo-Art (in restoration too) -- Citroën Dyane (drives great, but needs restoration too)

Quote    Reply   

#1 [url]

Nov 15 07 11:37 AM

Looking good Niels , always interested to see the workings and the work other collectors put into there instruments.

*1907: Orchestrelle Model V .
*1911 Steinway 65/88 Model I
*1912: Weber Pianola Grand. (currenty been
restored)
*1920: Weber Duo Art upright.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Nov 17 07 5:07 PM

The Phonola looks very interesting and it's nice to hear of someone taking a serious interest in the 73-note rolls....there are so many of them out there once you start looking, and there are hundreds of hand-played wonderful performances for them also!

It was strange looking at the pictures. I inspected a dismantled piano player when I was in New Zealand last year. I assumed it was some early 65-note instrument but looking at Niels' pictures I must have been looking at a Phonola in pieces!

If anyone is interested in one (in pieces!) I can put you in touch - it's near Wellington.

regards

Adam

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Nov 27 07 8:52 PM

The first french polished part..... the middle front panel, the other 2 panels are done too, but don't have them back yet. after that the frame itself goes, then I'll have the front done.... might take some time to get the whole thing done, I have to prepare it using sanding and loads of hole filling up

-- Phonola 73-note vorsetzer (in restoration) -- Steck pedal electric Duo-Art (in restoration too) -- Citroën Dyane (drives great, but needs restoration too)

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Feb 15 08 5:26 PM

the parts that hold the wheels on the Phonola are cast iron, a thead is running trought them with the wheels fixed to them. this way changing the height is possible.

only somebody must have pushed the player over some cobblestones or someting, which broke 3 out of 4 cast iron holders.

I had my dad make new ones out of steel, much stronger... not much of a problem to me as you can't see them anyway, not original, but working great....
sorry, forgot to turn some pics)

here are some pics of the old and new parts.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Oct 15 08 9:15 AM

New motivation to continue restoring, yesterday I bought 110 Phonola rolls

bad picture, but I just put them on the shelf, looks good, all the same boxes.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Oct 15 08 7:58 PM

Hi Paul,

There's not much progress with the vorsetzer at the moment. I have the primaries done, and one of the 3 pneumatic decks including the secundaries of that deck is almost done, I'm in need of more gasket leather, but I'll have to wait a bit with that, as like the rest of the world I'm in the middle of a financial crisis (specially after buying all there rolls.

I'm in the mood again for working on the new-build expression boxes. I think I'll work on these this week or the next. I'll make some pictures then

in the picture above with the rolls you can just see the corner of the vorsetzer, still a lot of French polishing to do....

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Oct 16 08 3:43 PM

Yep, I don't think I've ever not been in a financial crisis Those rolls look like they were very good value though.
Good luck with the french polishing (the most painful, but rewarding process of restoration, if you ask me)

Paul

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Oct 30 08 8:18 PM

Today I worked on the pedal valve assembly which I'm totally rebuilding, It's almost done, it still needs sealing and gasketing.

of course I made a mistake by making the air intake hole of the primary valve slightly larger than the original, not realising the valve wouldn't close off the hole anymore...... (no not blonde, guess I need to start dying my hair) It is clearly visible in the last picture, I have to redo this part.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Jul 31 09 10:08 AM

Miguel's pictures inspired me to go on with the gaskets and the stack, the first few pneumatics are glued to the decks, but I still need to recover some of them and even make a few new ones because they either split of were eaten...

of course some pictures:

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Jul 31 09 12:07 PM

Looking good!, you have done so much progress

*1907: Orchestrelle Model V .
*1911 Steinway 65/88 Model I
*1912: Weber Pianola Grand. (currenty been
restored)
*1920: Weber Duo Art upright.

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Dec 31 09 1:17 PM

some of the stationary boards broke, so I made some new ones

the bass side 'expressionbox', now with screw holes. it just needs gasketing now

had to make 2 new fingers (well, my uncle did most of the work on those)

pedal position as it should be, with springs inserted. will be nickel coated again in the future

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Dec 31 09 5:14 PM

Fantastic Job!

Hi Niels,
Fantastic job,the new fingers are just superb!
Well done!
You have to considerate your occupation,you should be a instrument restorer,don't waste your talent...
Best wishes for today!

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Jan 4 10 11:56 PM

SHE PLAYS!!!!!!!

sort of.... some leaks on the bass side I have to sort out.. treble side is cool.

I messed up the bass expressionbox, I'll seal it for now, and when I'm in the mood I'll make a good one....

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Jan 6 10 5:20 PM

mattos wrote:
Hi Niels,
Did you isolate the front wood pipe set?
regards
Miguel

do you mean the front cover of the stack, did nothing to that as it was perfectly airtight, I think it's in the bass expressionbox.

when I had just the treble connected it was perfect, now there's a big leak. I'll find it next week.

by the way, there's a video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKBKN9wjqSk

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Jan 7 10 2:53 AM

Yes the front cover,with the wood air galleries inside...
I'm saying this because all the tubes from primary valves,air chest's feed,air motor feed,and screws holes are there,and i have restored a few and all of them,unfortunately,needed to be isolated.
There is only one way to isolated this cover.You have to fill all the galleries with liquid hot hide glue,wait a minute then take out the glue again,you have to redo this in all galleries including the air motor gallerie.But if you had no leaks here,maybe can be a gasket problem. Another thing that i have learned,and have to be done this way,is that this cover,have to be screwed first to the secondary valve chests,and then to the lateral metal 'gondola' sides,and not the opposite.This way you are insuring that there is no leeks at all between this parts.Because if you screw the secondary chests to the metal laterals first you might end with 3 chests not perfectly lined up,and there is no cover gasket,no matter thick it is,that can save the work.Another thing is that the 3 (in mine 4) secondary valve chests don't have the exact length,here the gaskets are different in thickness.
Well,enough of bla,bla,bla...Just want to share...
I'm sure it will be for you a 'piece of cake' to locate that leak!
Best wishes
Miguel

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Jan 7 10 6:19 PM

the treble side I fixes to the front cover first and then to the metal side, the bass metal side I had on first, so that might be the problem. I'll take it off and tighten the screws on the front cover. I'm also in doubt about the gasked between the windchest and the metal side. I'll let you know what it waws, but it won't be this week before I look into it.

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Jan 8 10 12:24 PM

Hi Niels,

I have said:
"Another thing is that the 3 (in mine 4) secondary valve chests don't have the exact length,here the gaskets are different in thickness"....

Don´t worry,this is not you case,this happen in the early models,where the air galleries were in the sides...

Yes,gasked between the the metal and and the bottom chest valve.Another thing is the bass and theme expression boxes that are fixed by screws to the equalizer board with a card tube and a leather gasket...might be a problem too...By the video i saw it´s realy leaking as hell,no legs movements are needed in this instruments just the feet,it´s indeed a air tight instrument.
Best wishes in leak chasse...

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help